28 July 2010

Quote of the day

One of my favourite movies is the stupendously funny and wonderfully scripted The Princess Bride. Some of my favourite quotes of all time come from there, including:
  • Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
  • Mawaige. Mawaige is what bwings us togevver today.
  • Death cannot stop true love. It can only delay it for a little while
  • Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You kill' my father. Prepare to die.  
Sorry, got distracted! The Princess Bride, besides having some of the greatest movie quotes ever, also has a number of unusual critters, one of which is the ROUS - Rodents of Unusual Size, found in the Fire Swamp by Westley and Buttercup as they run away from Count Rugen.

Apparently, the creators of PB weren't so far from the truth when they designed the ROUS, either. I spotted this story today: scientists have found the remains of a rat the size of a small dog in East Timor - okay, it's not as large as the six-foot ROUS, but a rat the size of a Jack Russell is still a respectable rodent. Ewww.... but I guess that I don't mind giant rodents as long as there's a Dread Pirate Roberts/Westley around to kill it for me!

No comments: