20 August 2010

Out of the mouths of babes....

Our little daughter (aged 4) read her first word this morning, with no prompting from me. She came into our room when I was getting ready for work, and cuddled into our bed while I prayed morning prayer. She was looking at the Diocesan Prayer list that I use to pray for the churches in our Diocese, and she suddenly said to me, “Mummy, that says God, doesn’t it?” and pointed to it in the prayer on the front page! I asked her how she knew, and she said, “It says G-O-D, and that spells God.” She recognised “cat” yesterday in one of her favourite stories after I spelt it to her, and she’s getting very interested in how words are spelled and what they look like. But the first word she read absolutely on her own with no help was “God”. Nice.

No comments: