24 August 2014

Guilty pleasures

Everyone has a guilty pleasure. One of mine is musical theatre. Tonight, after playing small daughter a couple of clips from Cats on YouTube, I decided to indulge in the whole thing on Spotify after she went to bed. It was one of the musicals I loved most as a child - the other was Les Miserables, which I still adore. I remember we had a set of tapes (yes, ancient technology, I know!) of the original Cats London cast recording that Dad brought back from somewhere - Singapore, I think - and I played them over and over until the tapes stretched so badly I couldn't play them any more. They were a regular companion on my paper run, along with a tape from Elaine Paige that I had picked up in a bargain bin because it had a couple of tracks on it I liked. That one turned into one of my favourite tapes (in fact, I think I still have it somewhere, even though I lack the machinery to run it!).

What I loved and still love about Cats is the fact that it doesn't actually have a real storyline. It is mysterious and interesting and funny, and a tiny bit weird - just like a real cat - and it does have some wonderful songs. My favourite is actually 'Skimbleshanks the Railway Cat': it's very catchy, it's funny, and I can completely imagine a cat thinking that it is important enough to run a railway. As a show, it's also tremendously demanding on its performers:  all-singing, all-dancing for over two hours, with no dialogue breaks. I remember reading in Brian Blessed's autobiography Nothing's Impossible about how demanding the rehearsal and production process was (he played Bustopher Jones and Old Deuteronomy in the original London cast).


No comments: