1 October 2018

Planning ahead

I was doing something tonight I haven't done for many years - at least 8, maybe more. I was on a university website, working on an application to study. Victoria has just launched a Masters in Health (Workplace Health and Safety), with the inaugural students starting in 2019. I'll be one of them.

That's a fairly scary thought actually. I know I'm good academically and I know I've always done well at uni - and the last lot of study was 4.5 years part time through Massey doing my GradDipOSH. The scary thought is that I've got a demanding job, a busy family life, and all those other things going on in life. Looking back, I'm not quite sure how I fitted in my Massey study with a baby and a full-on consultancy job - thank heaven for hubby being at home! I guess I'll adapt but it's just a bit scary.

However, it's the right time to do it - it'll take about 5 years and that will still have me mid-career with about 15-20 years of practice left, so it makes sense to do it now. I've always wanted to do a Masters and for various reasons it didn't happen. There's a lot going on in the field that I need to keep up with to bring to my work, so it will be a good chance to refresh myself. So here goes - jumping in with both feet! Hopefully by March I'll have a few more things sorted at work so it won't be so busy...

No comments: