9 December 2007

Melting moments

According to the thermometer in the hall, it's 22 degrees C at 10.15pm, with humidity in the high 70s. Ick. Fortunately it's finally raining after threatening moistly all day and it is cooler (marginally). The cat has just come for a smooch - he's currently a soggy moggy and is leaving damp fur all over my face. Yum.

Things have happened since my last blog. The best of these things is that it looks as though I might be leaving my current job soon - I was offered something rather exciting on Friday. There are only 2 slight downsides: it doesn't start until February, and there may be some travel involved, besides a commute into Wellington city (as opposed to working in the Hutt Valley). However, it is in my professional field with some extremely talented and interesting colleagues (most of whom I have already met over drinks a couple of weeks ago) and I will learn an awful lot - I hope I'll also be able to contribute, once I've worked myself in a bit. They have a new project starting soon around delivery of safety training that sounds really exciting, and the boss has already hinted that he'd like me to get involved with it as it's an area that I know something about.

The timing worked out rather well as hubby and I had planned a night out on Friday for dinner and a movie anyway - it was rather nice to have something to truly celebrate! We saw Beowulf, which I'm planning to review in another blog - but the potted version is that it was quite good, a bit shocking in some places, a very interesting story (and as I'm not familiar with the poem, I can't tell you how close it was to the original - I managed to avoid Old English during my degree!), and the CG was okay - suffered with comparison to Weta Digital though.

We also managed to kill off the Christmas present for the small daughter on Friday (yes, Friday was a good day!) - she's getting a Thomas the Tank Engine set for Christmas. It's quite a big one: there was a sale on when we shopped and we got rather more bang for our buck! There are two stations, a train shed, four bridges, three engines (including Thomas), Bertie the Bus, Harold the Helicopter, a tunnel, several carriages, a road-rail crossing, various signs, trees etc, and rather a lot of track, points, and roadway. Tomy has done what they call "Motor, Road, and Rail" Thomas which is all integrated - you can get sets and modules that just add on to each other, which we thought was a good idea as it makes it easier for people who might be stuck on present ideas for her! The engines are both battery powered and can be pushed along the track (and will also run on just carpet, which is useful).

We took some of it out of the box and set up a few loops tonight just to check it was all working properly, and had Thomas puffing his way around a triple loop and up and down a hill. Very cool, although the cat was slightly worried by it.... I can't wait to see her little eyes light up on Christmas Day. After her reaction to Railex I'm expecting her to be very excited by it all.

Pachyderm

No comments: