6 October 2008

Simple pleasures

I have been indulging in some classic Queen lately - my bro gave me some $$ for my birthday and I spent it in a way he'd be proud of - getting me some good music. I've been trying to get my hands on more Queen for a while now. I enjoyed rediscovering Greatest Hits, especially 'Seven Seas of Rhye' and 'Don't Stop Me Now' after several years (this got me to and from Warkworth), and have promised myself that if I ever find Queen or Queen II (their first 2 albums) on CD I'll get them, no matter how bad the bank account looks! Also got Queen+ Greatest Hits III - the one they put out after Freddie died. Not so keen on GHIII, although it does have 'Barcelona' and 'The Great Pretender' from Mr Bad Guy on it, along with a few other goodies. However, Elton John + the remainder of Queen was bad. All bad. But Queen + George Michael was scarily good....

In fact, it was a bit of a memory lane trip recently: I also got my hands on a copy of Ken Follett's The Pillars of the Earth, which I read and loved years ago. It's been re-released in a shiny new binding to coincide with the release of the sequel World Without End which I intend to reserve at the library after exams.

Am enjoying a post-final essay quiet night with Anne McCaffrey's MasterHarper of Pern and some excellent fudge hubby made today.

Pachyderm

No comments: