25 February 2009

Ash Wednesday

Today was a bit manic. I was training in Upper Hutt (which went well) but it meant that instead of going to an Ash Wednesday service in town at lunchtime, I had to slip discreetly out of my ballet class (before it finished), change in the car, and slip into the back of our parish service at 7.30pm. We always combine with the local Catholic church and the priests take turns to preach - this year it was their turn. Sts Peter and Paul has a new parish priest so I was interested to hear what he was like. Not bad - delivery a bit stilted, but he had some good things to say and the slower delivery really did make me stop and think about the message.

So, Lent is here again. Forty days until Easter. This year, Lent for me is about what I'm going to do, not what I'm "giving up". It's a positive take - using the time to get closer to God, not to fixate on what I'm trying not to do.

Gracious God,
your love extends to the ends of the earth
and your mercy surrounds our fragile lives.
Send your blessings on us that we may be signs
and instruments of your peace and justice in the world.
(from today's ecumenical Ash Wednesday liturgy).

Pachyderm tssf

No comments: