27 September 2009

Quote for the day

I asked God for strength, that I might achieve.
I was made weak, that I might learn humbly to obey.

I asked God for health, that I might do greater things.
I was given infirmity, that I might do better things.

I asked for riches, that I might be happy.
I was given poverty, that I might become wise.

I asked for power, that I might have the praise of men.
I was given weakness, that I might feel the need of God.

I asked for all things, that I might enjoy life.
I was given life, that I might enjoy all things.

I got nothing that I asked for
But everything I had hoped for.

Almost despite myself, my unspoken prayers were answered.
I am among all men most richly blessed.

Found written on a piece of paper in the pocket of the body of an unknown Confederate soldier killed at the battle of Gettysberg.

No comments: