17 February 2010

Ash Wednesday

Lent is here again. It seems to come around faster every year - must be getting old! We usually do a combined liturgy for the Imposition of Ashes with our local Catholic church, Sts Peter & Paul, and we did again this year. It was really lovely to begin this holy season in concert with our friends over there, and we've been doing combined special services with them for so many years now that it feels like a second church home. It was also nice to see one of our female priests heavily involved with the liturgy - there's always been a bit of a sticking point there (for obvious reasons).

Like my friend Sr Susan over at Musings of a Discerning Woman, I am welcoming Lent this year. It always feels like God's written me a big purple invitation to come for a six week retreat-in-the-midst-of-life, with lots of opportunities for me to open myself to God's love in new and different ways. Today, I wandered down to the gorgeous St Mary of the Angels near my work to spend some time in the quiet, thinking about where I'm going for Lent and preparing myself for the Imposition tonight - knowing that small daughter was coming to the service and therefore it might be slightly less focused than I would like!

I'm not thinking so much about "giving things up" - I'm more thinking about where I can be more open to the love of God showing itself in new and different ways - as well as old and familiar ones. Will keep you posted!

No comments: